The fruition of Sacred Heart Academy began as a Sunday catechism school in La Loma founded by the late Mrs. Luisa Kierulf in 1947. Being a fervent devotee of the Sacred Heart of Christ, Mrs. Kierulf named the school Sacred Heart Academy of La Loma (SHALL).From its humble beginnings it grew to become an institution of learning offering pre-school, elementary and secondary education.
It’s with this intense desire to let Mrs. Kierulf’s legacy live on that inspired one of her children, Mr. Jose Antonio Kierulf and his wife Mrs. Cristina Kierulf, to establish Sacred Heart Academy of Pasig (SHAP)which first opened its doors to 200 students for the school year 2000-2001.
The curriculum was established with the goal of an excellent and progressive academic program rooted in traditional values to equip our students for a well-rounded education and preparation to prestigious universities.
Sacred Heart Academy of Pasig exists to inspire and educate promising young people from diverse backgrounds for responsible leadership, personal fulfillment, and enthusiastic participation in the world. The goal of SHAP is to nurture and cultivate qualities of each student through an interesting curriculum in an inspiring environment under the leadership of talented teachers. Class size is kept small allowing each student the opportunity to receive individual attention.
To date, Sacred Heart Academy of Pasig has now opened its classrooms to 1,600 students for the 2012-2013 school year. Talented faculty and campus expansion is imperative to SHAP’s growing body of students. Every school year, SHAP is dedicated to expanding its facilities to cater to the growing student population. Plans for SHAP’s biggest expansion yet is underway to include an additional two buildings that will host state of the art facilities such as a new gymnasium, a 1000 seater auditorium, an Olympic size pool, brand new cafeteria and the overhaul of existing venues.The expansion of the new facilities is projected to be fully operational by 2015.
As a school of the future, SHAP remains steadfast in its commitment to facilitate the formation of the youth who will eventually shape the country’s future and ultimately become highly responsible and productive global citizens.
Below are highlights of SHAP’s History:
- 2000-2001 - SHAP’s initial year opened with a total of 200 students with 13 faculty members.
- 2001-2002 - opened with 460 students and the opening of the first three levels of the High School Department.
- 2002-2003 - ushered in with a significant increase in student population with 615 students and the expansion of the school building and the first batch of high school graduates also made it to UP, Ateneo and La Salle.
- 2003-2004 – with 840 students the corresponding increase in the number of teachers and staff were hired for the year.
- 2004-2005 - the continuing increase in student population necessitated the construction of additional classrooms on the fourth level of the building, the year was momentous for we received the RECOGNITION status of the Secondary School Program from the Department of Education, and likewise saw the founding of the PARENTS CORE COMMITTEE which became the school’s support arm in undertaking its Ways and Means Project.
- 2005-2006- the Shap covered court was built to accommodate more people during school programs and activities.
- 2006-2007 - On its way to gaining its international status, the Center for English Language was re-established to accommodate the increasing number of international students.
- 2007-2008 – the noteworthy increase of 1,231 students including international students was comparable to the increasing number of Shap high school graduates that made it to UP, Ateneo, UA and P, La Salle.
- 2008-2009 - the Student Activity Program was enhanced as well as the academic program was intensified. Students were exposed to a variety of inter-school competitions in the field of sports, writing, quiz bee and public speaking which brought forth laurels to the school.
- 2009-2010 – Shap’s 10th Foundation Year was opened with the construction of a separate building which provided more spacious classrooms and play areas for the preschoolers. After a decade, SHAP has established its own niche as a quality education provider in the area of Pasig, enrolment continued to grow which brought about the building of more classrooms for the growing Grade School population.
- 2010-2011 – Soaring to greater heights in the pursuit of its vision the Administration envisions SHAP to become a premier learning institution in Pasig after only ten years of successful operation, we can proudly say that the dream is coming true and the school has still much to offer.
- 2011-2012 - with the growing population Shap expanded its frontage and staged the very first musical play entitled “The King and I.”
- 2012-2013 - the K12 curriculum was implemented for both Grade 1 pupils and Grade 7 students, and the additional floor on the new building was constructed for the grade schools science laboratory, TLE, and a multi-purpose hall.
- 2013-2014 - a huge influx of new students for a total of 1,730 students greeted the school year. A two-storey canteen was built to accommodate the ever growing population of SHAP plus the enhancement of the SHAP curriculum.
- 2015-2016 - The Department of Education approved SHAP's K-12 Transition Program. SHAP also opened its doors to 2,158 students and marked the opening of SHAP's Senior High School program paving the way for the construction of the Senior High School building and gym.
Hence, the students and parents can look forward to a brighter future for SHAP in terms of the Curriculum/Instruction, Faculty, Administration, Student Activity Program, Student Services and Facilities.
As a school of the future, SHAP remains steadfast in its commitment to facilitate the formation of the youth who will eventually shape the country's future and ultimately become useful, responsible, and productive global citizens.